Friday 26 September 2014

The Yes City

The Tuesday before voting day I headed into the centre of Glasgow on a mission to hand out CVs to various retail establishments and go for a coffee with a Scottish musician friend of mine who I hadn’t seen for ages. We first met two years ago, I was supporting her in Cardiff and from that point on we regularly kept in touch but this meeting was to be the first time we really sat down and had a proper chat. Our rendezvous location was outside a shop near Buchanan Street subway entrance and a great vantage point for people watching. I clock two young gentlemen standing either side of the subway entrance, YES badges proudly attached to their jumpers, passing out leaflets to commuters and hungry workers in search of a lunchtime snack. The previous weekend Buchanan Street had been transformed – thousands of pro-yes supporters gathered and the scenes were impressive as they were encouraging.


I spot my friend navigating the busy street and give a wee wave. We decide to take a slow walk up to a cafe on Sauchiehall Street. During our journey I am informed of which buskers to avoid (because they steal your soul) and where I can take life drawing classes - so engrossed in our conversation we are unaware how close to the curb we are and suddenly both inhale sharply as a bus whooshes past our noses. We could have very easily been two ex-musicians.

The cafe of choice is called Vanilla Black, a small establishment located next to McLellan Galleries (where I had the pleasure of viewing the Glasgow School of Art Degree show earlier in the year). The cafe has a glorious display of cakes and we both opt for a polenta and pear cake which we take outside away from the heavy heat indoors. We cover a lot of ground and our chatter eventually moves to economics and politics. “Are you pro-independence?” she asks me with a tremor of worry in her voice. The look of concern on her face makes me doubt myself for a moment and I stumble over my words but eventually utter “yes” which was thankfully greeted with a nod and a smile. The vote held much gravitas for my friend who firmly believed that an independent Scotland would benefit future generations. 

As an outsider I had been watching the debate for independence roll and rumble along with great interest. For me independence meant a positive change that took control away from Westminster and gave power to the people of Scotland. It wouldn’t be easy but it would open the doors for a more democratic system and the opportunity to shape the country into something that everybody wanted. The fear and negativity regarding the ‘no’ campaign made me angry – the same old shoddy underhand politics - the bully boys of Westminster preying on the old and the ill-informed – offering promises we’ll know they’ll never keep. Walking around Glasgow I had noticed a leaning towards pro-independence. The majority of houses in my street displayed posters and banners in favour of the yes vote and there seemed to be an air of excitement and positivity.

It’s quite some time after we’ve finished our cake and coffee before we decide to move on. I join my friend on a trek to Mitchell Library where she hopes to find a free practice room with a piano. It’s a grand old building and I’m not surprised to discover is one of Europe’s largest public libraries. I venture inside with her and, as she had warned, was disappointed to see a bland modern interior in the belly of the building. We part ways on a strange curved landing hugging briefly, my friend already ‘in the zone’ ready for practice. I chuckle to myself on the way out wondering what I look like just before an important practice.

On the way back to catch my train home I come across a group of musicians, YES t-shirts on and a flag on the mic stand, performing Scottish folk versions of popular songs. They have a large audience and the music is wonderful. I’m struck by a wave of emotion – there is so much passion in the city and it’s truly uplifting.



What happened later on the 18th September 2014 was an incredibly powerful show of involvement from the Scottish people. 84% of those eligible to vote went out and made their mark.

Glasgow voted yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment