Thursday 9 October 2014

Have some mustard, take a trip.

There’s a lot to do in Glasgow if you have the time and the means to get to places. I have a lot of time but a strict budget which limits my participation to certain events. However, free things are great and if I can get to it by train or walking then count me in. Last Sunday myself and Lux headed out to a craft fair located in Merchant Square near Trongate which is an indoors covered square thing (no shit) that’s meant to feel like it’s outdoors with lots of restaurants and a club called El Barrio that features a parrot wearing a sombrero as its logo - “Hey amigos, SQUAWK, come inside for fun times and reasonably priced drinks, SQUAWK”. As squares go it’s alright but there’s an air of Butlins about it all and by that I mean it feels a bit fake. Still, the restaurants are busy so good for them.


For some reason I was under the impression that the craft fair would be a bit more, well, crafty. What I discovered was that the majority of the stands consisted of very expensive artwork or very expensive artisan food or very expensive jewellery. Sure, it was all very nice but not in my price range and not particularly to my taste either. There were a few stands though that caught our eyes and we ended up having very pleasant chats with the vendors. Now would probably be a good opportunity to promote said crafty people but I can’t remember what their businesses were called and have reached a level of comfort on the sofa where moving would disturb the delicate equilibrium so what I can tell you for now is that we came out with a lovely rose and geranium soap, a note pad with the Glasgow School of Art on the front, some strawberry and black pepper jam and a small bottle of caramel sauce. The intention was to buy a few things as gifts for the impending Jesusmas but ended up getting things for ourselves. Oops.

Deciding that we should perhaps resist from spending any more money in the square we head out and initially visit a nearby Italian cafe that has the most amazing food and cakes but the prices are not as pretty so we venture further afield towards a tea room we remembered seeing on Glassford Street a few weeks previously.

We find ‘The Glasgow Tea Room’, it’s open and the prices are a lot more within budget. Time seems to have whizzed by and it’s already 4pm so we don’t have much time to drink the enormous pots of herbal tea we’ve ordered (see picture – that’s Lux making the gang signs – even people from the hood like herbal tea – deal with it). We also order some bagels which are great except for the copious amounts of mustard. I’ve never had that much mustard before, the feeling of my sinuses and cheeks burning was a new experience and, whilst we both found it hilarious, it’s probably something I don’t want to experience again. Our fits of laughter were then escalated when the sound of pounding feet came from above us and the chandeliers started wobbling. “There’s a group of ladies have a reiki meeting upstairs. I think they’re doing a rain dance, like we need it” says one of the waitresses. By this point I am convinced that I’m on some kind of mustard fuelled high, the world is now in soft focus and Lux is telling me a joke that has something to do with the three bears, a drunk mouse and Frank Sinatra.


Time for home. On our way back towards the train station we stop outside the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art. The Duke of Wellington statue has his traffic cone hat on, something I had yet to see in the flesh. The last time I had seen him he was sporting a Brazil football shirt and a little family of traffic cones were nestled at the bottom of his plinth. I’m not sure of the story behind the traffic cone tradition but I think it’s cool and totally represents the spirit of Glasgow.


0 comments:

Post a Comment